Bitten by the Red Ring of Death

Well, my Memorial Day Halo 3 Fragfest plans just bit the dust. I just went to sit down and play an hour of the world's most awesomest game beta before heading over to my girlfriend's parents house for dinner, and I just got the 3-light "F-You!" from my Xbox 360. Now I am wishing that I had traded my console up to an Elite sooner, or at the very least ponied up for the extended warranty. It's gonna cost $140 to get it fixed. And based on the experience of TeamXbox on the matter, I won't get my console back till after the Halo 3 Beta is over.

To use the word "bummer" is a massive understatement. <sigh />

Posted on May 28 2007, 03:12 PM by Robert McLaws
Filed under:

Comments

• Marshall said:

I received a 2 ring a week ago then a 3 ring on like thursday but after the console cooled down it came back on.

May 28, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Yeah, that happened to me a few days ago... But I've tried it about 20 times to the same result. It's most definitely DOA.

May 28, 2007 10:39 PM
  • Shawn Oster said:

I feel for ya, mine never actually got the RRoD but it would just freeze on the loading screen, and sometimes, if I was lucky, after 30 or 40 power cycles it would actually complete the loading screen.  It would stay alive for a few hours, then lock up.  Plus the CD tray would get stuck half the time and not open all the way.

Funny thing is this just happened to two other friends, all of us bought around the same time and they all seem to have croaked after a year and a half.

May 28, 2007 11:00 PM
  • Lee said:

So you join the club, I feel bad for you. I had it twice now, but I was lucky because recently I actually found a great solution for this problem and it works great! Its called the Eraser fix, I found it in a tech support site. Here is the page for the <a href="http://www.fixya.com/support/t142158-3_flashing_red_lights" title="Eraser Fix">Eraser Fix</a> I hope it will help you readers as well!

Good luck

Lee

May 29, 2007 1:48 AM
  • Lee said:

use the link in my signature... for some reason the HTML didn't work, sorry

May 29, 2007 5:32 AM
  • Al said:

I know it's a hassle but this if it's not covered by warranty there is a simple fix. Mine did the 3RLOD game on Friday, $7 and 2 hours later I'm back and running. See overview thread at http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=595746 for more info.

May 29, 2007 11:59 AM
  • Dave Murdock said:

The potential for a Red Ring of Death has me nearly petrified to even use the 360. I only want to get to Halo 3 on September 25 and finish the fight, if it bricks after that I could except it, though I wouldn't buy another one, and mine is out of warranty. My strategy to minimize risk is the following:

1) Segment movie playing. Since I use the 360 as my DVD player, I have segregated movies onto the HD-DVD add-on (birthday present), preserving the internal drive for games.

2) If my son gets a new DVD and wants to watch a lot, I rip to MP4/H.264 and play through Apple TV to avoid the heat, power, and noise of the 360.

3) Play less games. I have the Halo 3 beta and GRAW 2, but I haven't been putting much time into either past getting the feel of Halo 3 to decrease the chances that the console will die from normal use.

It is sad that I have reached this state, but as I read more people getting ringed by the 360 (including a friend after that the Fall 2006 update), with Paul Thurrott having multiple consoles do it, and now Robert, I just don't want to take chances with this box.

May 29, 2007 12:35 PM
  • For the record, if you crack open your Xbox 360 to fix this yourself, you won't be able to pay $140 and send it in to get it fixed if your tinkering doesn't work.

May 29, 2007 1:46 PM
  • Sometimes it takes a really long time, but Microsoft usually does the right thing in the end. Today is

July 5, 2007 3:52 PM
  • The week after I got my Xbox 360 back from the repair depot the first time I got an RROD , Microsoft

December 27, 2007 2:21 AM