Installing Adobe Reader 8 on Windows Vista

Adobe is pushing Reader 8 as their Vista-compatible version of Acrobat Reader. The ironic part of that is, it doesn't install properly on Windows Vista. Adobe was no help, but Google to the rescue. Fortunately, Ohad came across this issue not two days before Christmas. Thanks Ohad!

Shame on you Adobe. You better fix this before Vista is available to consumers.

Comments

• Dena said:

Interesting....I didn't have this issue and I installed Reader 8 two nights ago.  Hope they get it all worked out before the release though.

January 1, 2007 2:13 AM
  • It has installed fine for me on multiple occasions, on my desktop and laptop. Reader 8 has really impressed me so much in its quickness on vista that I have dropped using 3rd party pdf applications now.

January 1, 2007 4:11 AM
  • Sam said:

I prefer (and recommend) Foxit Reader instead of Acrobat Reader.

If you don't need all the features of the quite bloated Acrobat Reader its a nice change: small, fast.

January 1, 2007 6:01 AM
  • Tom Servo said:

Is there a difference between the "Vista compatible" version and the others? Like more glass or something?

January 1, 2007 7:05 AM
  • Simon said:

I had no trouble installing on three Vista boxes - maybe this is an intermittent issue...?

January 1, 2007 1:23 PM
  • Jay said:

no issue installing it on the Vista RC2.. is it a bug with the RTM or a bug on some computers?

January 1, 2007 2:41 PM
  • Brad said:

Sam is correct.  It has been years since I have used Adobe Reader.  Foxit is small and completely compatible with Vista!

January 2, 2007 12:29 AM
  • Jeremy said:

Did they fix the longstanding bug that acrord32.exe never unloads if you load a PDF file in IE? Not only does it run forever, it also blocks DDE messages so some things just don't work [like starting IE] until you manually kill the process.

January 2, 2007 1:21 PM
  • Jorgie said:

Here is another vote for FoxIt Reader... Small, Fast, Free and no installer needed.

At the university where I work, we handle the media for all of campus and Adobe has been sending us the same CDs for 3 years without updating them. If you install Acrobat 7 (yes, I now 8 is out now) you have to install 4 updates, each requiring a reboot. What crap. here is hoping they don't ruin the flash plugin.

Jorgie

January 3, 2007 1:51 AM
  • acchong said:
    January 5, 2007 3:23 PM
  • Bugg said:

Acrobat Reader 8 for WinXP crashed my hard drive (WinXP SP2) so badly that I had to reformat and do a clean reinstall of Windows.  On the reboot after installing Acrobat, my computer wouldn't start and there was absolutely no way to get into Safe Mode or to the System Restore feature.  Tried running the "Repair Windows Installation" feature from my Windows CD and each time got a message saying Windows couldn't install.  Had to completely reformat and start over.  Gee thanks Adobe!

February 21, 2007 1:15 PM