FSF Anti-Vista Campaign Nothing But FUD

If you thought the Free Software Foundation was all about the grand ideals of liberating information for the sake of the world, they just made you look like an idiot.

BadVista.org proves that the FSF is nothing more than a bunch of whiny babies who are still pissed off that Microsoft was aggressive in the 90s. And it's probably one of the most blatantly ridiculous FUD campaigns I've ever seen.

The campaign will organize supporters into effective and unusual actions drawing attention to this daylight theft of computer users' rights, aggregate news stories cutting through the Vista marketing propaganda, and provide a user-friendly gateway to the adoption of free software operating systems like gNewSense (http://www.gnewsense.org).

Peter Brown, executive director of the FSF said, “Whilst Microsoft embarks upon its largest ever product launch, its marketing dollars will be spent in an effort to fool the media and user community about the goals of Vista. Our campaign will ask the important questions. Can you set yourself or your company free? Can you ever be free from Microsoft? As with our campaign against Digital Restrictions Management, we aim to demonstrate that technologists can be social activists, because we know the harm that Vista will cause”.

Among other harms, BadVista.org will focus on the danger posed by Treacherous Computing in Vista. Commonly called Trusted Computing in the industry, it is an attempt to turn computers from machines controlled by their user into machines that monitor their user and refuse to operate in ways that manufacturers don't authorize.

So forget about the other thousands of other tech companies out there that sells software... Microsoft is the real root of all evil. And to the FSF, Vista is the Antichrist. I guess that means I'm going to Hell then. At least I'll be with friends.

Comments

• Speaking of the FSF ... I don't understand why these people think all software should be free. Nothing

December 19, 2006 1:45 AM
  • Do they have a campaign against the electric companies as well?  You can't run a free OS without paying for electricity.  What about the hardware vendors?  You can't run a free OS without buying hardware.

Regards.

December 19, 2006 7:26 AM
  • Peter Kirn said:

Thanks, mate ... at first I thought I was just crazy. The FSF seems to have completely lost their minds. Note that this isn't really doing a service to Linux. gNewSense strips the binary globs of proprietary software (Flash? for now, Java?) and takes out a lot of the stuff you might WANT in your Linux distro. If they really wanted to do this, why not offer a reasonable point-by-point Linux-Vista comparison? There are many things Linux does really well. Instead, it's being crippled by free software extremists.

December 19, 2006 11:15 AM
  • William said:

How do you pronounce that distro's name?  To me, it looks like "nuisance".

Extremists on every side.  DRM being shoved down our throats in order to remove our currently held rights by stupid corporations on one side, the equivalent to DRM under the label GPL being shoved down our throats by the hippy freaks on the other side.  Both sides need to get the $%#%$ out of my life.

December 19, 2006 12:10 PM
  • List244 said:

Yay! Yet another group of Linux hippies that can't stand to see another OS succeed. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-linux nor anti any OS. But really, their complaints are just pathetic. First, who cares what Microsoft does to people with illegal copies? Second, this complaint about Vista not running is just... pathetic. Vista from my experience runs great. I have seen it run on computers purchased over 3 years ago that were not even the top of the line when purchased. And I would have to say in all honesty, Linux is the slowest (current) OS I have ever run.

If you don't like Vista, don't buy it, but leave those of us that want it alone. Perhaps Linux would benefit from less people spamming internet about how great it is  and more actually working to get the OS decent. As of this moment, Linux is far from a good OS for standard users. It is time they work on this rather than try shoving it down people's throats prematurely.

PS: Again, I have used Linux and do like it in many senses and for many reasons, but who doesn't like an uncooked cookie once in a while?

December 19, 2006 2:34 PM
  • Arcterex said:

Maybe a silly question, but how does the sillyness of the 'bad vista' campaign compare with the sillyness of the "the gpl is a virus" campaign?

December 20, 2006 7:22 PM
  • root said:

Home : Unix Flavors Microsoft Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP

Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

MADE YA LOOK! HELLO!!! IT'S NOT UNIX! :)

January 9, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Graham Fluet said:

List244,

Your not being specific, therefor I have the right to believe that you work for Microsoft.

January 10, 2007 3:40 PM